Everything you need to know to overcome teeth crowding
Many people aren’t born with perfectly straight teeth which can make them easily feel insecure about their mouth while speaking or smiling. Hence the reason why teeth straightening is becoming one of the most popular and sought-after Dental/ Orthodontic treatments. Let’s focus on one of the most common forms of teeth misalignment – Teeth Crowding!
What is Teeth Crowding?
There are times when teeth don’t grow the way you think they ideally should. A common problem that occurs is when they come in at odd angles/ positions. This is what we call Teeth Crowding or Overcrowded Teeth. It is a type of malocclusion, which occurs when there is disharmony between the size of your teeth and the size of your jaw.
That means that the jaw might be too small for your teeth, or your teeth too large for your jaw. Another reason can be early exfoliation of milk teeth and drifting of other adjacent teeth in the space leaving very minimal or no space for new permanent teeth. The limited space available for the growing teeth prevents them from erupting into their ideal natural position. With too little space for all the teeth to fit into the mouth properly, they tend to overlap each other leading to crowding.
Causes of Teeth Crowding
There are a number of other causes of tooth crowding, including:
- Incoming wisdom teeth.
- Physical trauma like sports injuries to accidents
- Poor Habits like mouth breathing, tongue thrusting, reverse swallowing, and thumb sucking (known as incorrect myofunctional habits)
- Medical issues such as allergies, asthma, and an open mouth posture
Common problems with Overcrowded Teeth
While tooth crowding is very much an aesthetic problem, it can also cause serious health problems. Some of them are:
- Tooth Wear and Pain: A misaligned jaw/teeth can make you experience overcrowded teeth position, as poor alignment causes unusual tooth wear and pain.
- Common Dental Problems: Cleaning is a task with overcrowded teeth and leads to poor dental hygiene resulting in unpleasant odors, tooth decay, and gum diseases.
- Low self-esteem: The appearance of your teeth has the potential to make people feel self-conscious.
Treatment Options: Braces vs Clear Aligners
There is no denying the fact that braces have been used for decades to straighten teeth, and although effective in forcing the teeth into straighter alignment, it’s important to recognize that there are well-documented disadvantages. As they are stuck to the teeth it becomes difficult to clean, which means the enamel can decay around the braces, causing white spots or stains. Once the braces are removed, the enamel on the surface of the teeth could likely be permanently damaged. Since teeth are not cleaned properly, problems such as gum disease, tooth decay, and decalcification (white or colored marks on the teeth) often occur.
Fortunately, there are other dental appliances to get the smile you’ve always wanted. Clear Aligners by Flash Orthodontics are a highly effective non-surgical means of remedying overcrowded teeth. Made with the help of advanced dental technology of creating a 3D model of your mouth, they put consistent pressure on your teeth to gradually move them. They have some very clear advantages of traditional braces.
Advantages of using Clear Aligners to overcome teeth crowding
– Hardly Noticeable: Clear Aligners are the only dental appliances that are virtually invisible to others. So you don’t need to worry about any unwanted attention.
– Achieves Faster Results: On average, clear aligner treatment lasts between 6 to 12 months, but the duration of your treatment varies based on your individual needs.
– Fewer Orthodontist Appointments: Unlike braces, you don’t need regular appointments for adjustments. This is the perfect solution for those who have a busy schedule.
– Highly Personalized Care: These plastic trays are customized pieces made to fit directly over your teeth and help the teeth fit into the shape that they would ideally take.
– No Food Restrictions: The best part is the clear aligner trays are removable, which makes them less restrictive and more convenient than braces. It also makes eating and drinking easier because they can be removed for meals. So no food restrictions! However, it is highly recommended to wear them for at least 22 hours a day to prevent any delays in the treatment.
Flash Orthodontics is a proud Made-in-India brand, bringing world-class technology of TRIOS intraoral scanning backed by a nationwide network of 1850+ certified orthodontists. Their aim is to help patients suffering from dental issues to take on a journey to a more confident smile.
Your Comment is Submitted.